A wonderful article appeared in the Standard Times on Sunday, January 14.
Architect Robert H. Slack donated his services when he designed Olde Southworth. According to journalist and historian Peggi Medeiros:
"Southworth is one of the finest public buildings in the entire Greater New Bedford area. "
"Southworth Library was the single most important gift ever given to the Town of Dartmouth."
"When you begin looking for his buildings, they are everywhere, from the 1876 Peabody Museum wing at Harvard to Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River. In New Bedford, his buildings include St Mary’s Home, and the 1894 addition to the Bristol County House of Correction on Ash Street. His masterpiece New Bedford building was and remains Pilgrim United Church. It was built and dedicated in 1891 as the Trinitarian Congregational Church. From its granite, brick and brownstone trim exterior to the Angel of the Resurrection Tiffany glass window and sanctuary ceiling echoing a whaling ship, the church is perfect.
A benefactor who never forgot his town and an architect of genius gave his best to the Town of Dartmouth. As a cultural center, the Southworth Library will continue."
Read the full article here.